Below are the requirements for importing content feed for JW Player
Required for Import
Before integrating an JWPlayer client IRIS.TV should receive:
- Content Feed:
- For a RSS Feed:
- JW RSS feed
- For a JW API:
- API Key
- API Secret
- For a RSS Feed:
JW Player 7+ has two ways to set up an import for IRIS.TV. The first option is an RSS Feed. The second is through the JW API. There are positives and negatives to each method.
Please ensure that a link to the video file is accessible via the feed or API.
- RSS feed can be built specific to IRIS.TV
- RSS feed is limited to 99 assets
- RSS feed sorting is controlled by a UI. If set up incorrectly, IRIS.TV can miss the newest content
- JW API allows access to full content library
- JW API has calls that are configured by IRIS.TV so that IRIS.TV can ensure that the newest content is being pulled
- Each publisher has only one set of JW Credentials. Once shared, they cannot revoke IRIS.TV access to their account
- The credentials have WRITE permissions in addition to READ permissions. IRIS.TV could make changes to the publisher library with the credentials
JW RSS Feed
The JW Player RSS feed is generated from the Dynamic Playlist interface in the JWPlayer UI. The Dynamic Playlist interface can be found under "Curated Playlists" in the "Manage" header.
Screenshot of Dynamic Playlist interface.
Creating the Playlist
Requirements for the playlist:
- Sort by is set to "Most Recently Published"
- If IRIS.TV is not to recommend certain content, it can included an exclude in the Filter by Tag section
- The "List Length" is set to 99 items available
Pulling RSS Feed URL
To copy the feed URL to share with IRIS.TV, go:
- to the Developers tab on the screen
- Copy the RSS URL
Screenshot of Developers tab
Sample Asset from JW RSS Feed:
<pubDate>Tue, 17 May 2016 15:00:24 -0000</pubDate>
<enclosure url="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/videos/m2c4Pq4Z-LIy5BfaA.mp4" type="video/mp4" length="51"/>
<media:content url="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/manifests/m2c4Pq4Z.m3u8" type="application/vnd.apple.mpegurl" duration="51"/>
<media:content url="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/videos/m2c4Pq4Z-7OMnOmZH.mp4" type="video/mp4" duration="51" width="320" height="178" fileSize="2967378"/>
<media:content url="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/videos/m2c4Pq4Z-ZdvV7Lxe.mp4" type="video/mp4" duration="51" width="480" height="266" fileSize="4345394"/>
<media:content url="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/videos/m2c4Pq4Z-LIy5BfaA.mp4" type="video/mp4" duration="51" width="720" height="400" fileSize="6081923"/>
<media:content url="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/videos/m2c4Pq4Z-DTFfSgRk.m4a" type="audio/mp4" duration="51" fileSize="728933"/>
<media:thumbnail url="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/thumbs/m2c4Pq4Z-720.jpg" width="720" />
<jwplayer:track file="https://cdn.jwplayer.com/strips/m2c4Pq4Z-120.vtt" kind="thumbnails"/>
The JW API credentials are found under the API Credentials screen in the "Account" section.
Screenshot of where API Credentials is located
From the API Credentials page, client "Show Credentials" to reveal the API key and secret for the client.
Note: These are the clients only API Credentials and cannot be modified or revoked
Screenshot of API Credentials page
Once client sends API key and API secret, IRIS.TV can begin content ingestion.